SUSHI RICE SALAD
INGREDIENTS (Serves: 4)
- 1 ½ cups mama san Sushi Rice
- 1 ¾ cups water
- ¼ cup mama san Sushi Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 carrots (medium)
- ¼ tsp mama san Wasabi Paste
- ½ tbsps. Vegetable oil
- ½ seedless cucumber (large, usually plastic-wrapped, peeled, halved lengthwise, cored, and chopped, 1 cup)
- 100g chicken (thinly sliced diagonally)
- 3 tbsp mama san Sushi Ginger (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tbsps. sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1 avocado (firm and ripe)
- 8 shiso (fresh leaves, optional)
- 1 square toasted nori (dried seaweed, cut into very thin strips with scissors, optional)
- Rinse rice in several changes of cold water in a bowl until water is almost clear, then drain in a colander.
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a pot, then simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand, covered for 10 minutes (do not lift the lid).
- While rice is resting, bring vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil in a very small saucepan, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved, then cool for 2 minutes.
- Spread rice in a large shallow baking pan, then sprinkle with vinegar mixture and toss with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk together wasabi, remaining 1 ½ tbs water, and oil in a bowl, then add rice, cucumber, pickled ginger, and sesame seeds and toss gently.
- Halve, pit, and peel avocado and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Arrange 2 shiso leaves (if using) on each of 4 plates. Top with chicken avocado and rice mixture and sprinkle with nori strips.
INGREDIENTS (Serves: 2)
- 2 cups mama san Sushi Rice
- 2 cups water
- 80ml mama san Sushi Vinegar
- Measuring and preparing the rice
-Rinse the rice. (1 cup of 250g = 3 rolls, 2 cups = 6 rolls) with cold water until there is no more milky-looking starch coming out of it (until the water is clear).
-After you are done rinsing, take the rice and place it gently in a pot (or rice cooker if you’re using one).
-Add water (1 cup = 1.2 cups water, 2 cup = 2.4 cups water).
-For best results, leave the washed rice to soak in the water for 15 to 30 minutes before cooking.
- Cooking the rice. If cooking in a rice cooker, please follow the Rice Cooker instructions. If cooking in a pot:
-The rice should be cooked on high heat at first (covered with a lid) until the water boils.
-Then reduce the heat to minimum and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
-Remove from heat and, for best results, let stand covered for 15 to 30 minutes.
-Take out the rice with a non-metallic spoon (eg. a wooden spoon) and place on a large non-metallic tray (in a thin layer if possible to help the rice to cool).
- Seasoning the rice
-Sprinkle the mama san Sushi Vinegar on top of the rice.
-Mix thoroughly with a gentle chopping motion (using a non-metallic spoon or spatula).
-Let the rice cool down for a few minutes until it reaches room temperature.
TE-MAKI SUSHI (Hand-rolled Sushi)
INGREDIENTS (Serves: 3~4)
- 4 cups cooked mama san Sushi Rice
- 1 pack mama san Sushi Seaweed
- Your choice of ingredients (eg. cooked egg, cucumber, avocado, row fish, fish roe, teriyaki chicken/beef ,smoked salmon etc.)
- Cut the Sushi Seaweed in half so that is now in rectangular strips.
- Prepare all your ingredients – sushi rice and a selection of toppings. Put these in separate bowls for your guests.
- Take a strip of seaweed, put your favourite ingredients onto one side and then roll into a cone shape. Making Te-Maki Sushi is a bit like making Tacos – your guests get to make their own. It’s a double whammy – less work for you and your guests can make sushi with their favourites mix of ingredients.